Friday, March 29, 2013

21st CENTURY TLW


TLW (The Little Woman) has stepped into the 21st Century before I did!

The other day she comes home with this package of plastic ice cubes, dangling them in my face.

“What’s that?” I inquire. (Four years of college will do that!)

“Oh, I saw this in the store and thought I’d try it. They’re plastic ice cubes.”

“What do they have, flies inside them and people get crazy finding them in their drinks?”

“NO. They have water and you freeze them and put them in your drink. This prevents the drink from watering from the cubes.” She informs me.

Being a man of today’s technology, I tell her to knock herself out.

Now I’m a man who is a traditionalist to some degree. I am conservative by nature in that I don’t always embrace change for change sake. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it is my philosophy. However, when it comes to Jack Daniels Manhattans, it is more so.  The use of exotic foreign fruit, other than a cherry: no pineapple in my baked macaroni, nothing but pepperoni, sausage and cheese on my pizza, don’t try to innovate when it comes to time-honored tradition. Don’t fool with bagels or knishes too. DON’T MESS WITH GENTLEMAN JACK, if you get my drift.

Well the big test comes and TLW makes me one of her award winning Jack Daniels Manhattans with the usual aplomb. Except that the drink doesn’t look right. I’m use to a Manhattan with a certain color, not darker, not lighter, not hued differently. You DON”T mess with mother nature. The drink is one hue and one hue only, don’t screw around.

If you want to lose your want for a drink, have one like a Manhattan with what looks like a lemon or lime wedge, or a blue ice cube. WHO puts a blue ice cube in their Jack Daniels Manhattan???? This is like the Pope appointing someone from the Ku Klux Klan to Cardinal, one white hood for a red skullcap (zucchetto) or yarmulke.

While writing this blogue, TLW asks: “So what do you think of these ice cubes?”



1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

I use them all the time when I travel in place of ice cubes in my lunch box. They last all day and don't make a mess like ice cubes do. They are fantastic and especially good in white wine. Doesn't water down the drink.